Rock cakes are an easy bake, and they’re great to have ready as an afternoon snack as we go into exam season! They’ll keep for while in an airtight container too, but they’re best eaten just out of the oven!
225g self-raising flour
75g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
125g cubed butter
150g dried fruit
1 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan and line a baking tray.
2. Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. You can also add 1/2tsp of mixed spice here if you like that flavour!
3. Add and mix in the dried fruit.
4. In a new bowl, beat the egg and milk together with the vanilla.
5. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir with a spoon until a lumpy dough forms. You can always add more milk if it seems too dry!
6. Place golfball-sized spoons of the mixture onto the baking trays, Leaving space between them as they will double their size.
7. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until golden-brown.