Outshining Exeter University in the semi-final, Loughborough’s women came to the final round of the Championship with the support of a home crowd. In a close match the home side pushed their guests from Birmingham but fell just short of the gold medal. Emma Lawton was there for Label.

The game started with Birmingham holding all the possession, however in the eighth minute they gave Loughborough a chance at goal. Loughborough took a shot but it flew just wide the score 0-0. Birmingham were soon back in possession high up the water-based pitch making Loughborough work hard to defend themselves.

The sixteenth minute saw Birmingham awarded a penalty corner. They took it well and Birmingham’s Hughes converted it into a goal giving them the lead in the Championship final. The score stood Loughborough 0-1 Birmingham.

The match restarted and Birmingham were quick to regain and hold possession. Loughborough were feeling the pressure and were having to defend their chances at winning BUCS gold on home soil. In the twenty-third minute Birmingham had another chance on goal, however their shot was saved by Loughborough’s goalkeeper keeping Loughborough’s chances of the title alive.

The latter part of the first half saw Loughborough gifted a few chances at equalising after they were awarded a string of penalty corners. Despite their best efforts, they were unable to capitalise on them with Birmingham defending well and an unfortunate miss. At the end of the first half the score remained 0-1 to Birmingham.

It was a close second half, but Birmingham still dominated the possession. The away side were awarded a free pass in the seventh minute of the second half, but could not take advantage of it. That did not stop them from attacking though; they put Loughborough under increasing pressure and the tenth minute saw them gain a shot at goal, Loughborough’s goalkeeper, however, made another great save with her leg.

The latter part of the second half saw Loughborough losing possession with inaccurate passes. However, Birmingham were forced to defend their lead with one less body on the pitch after a dangerous tackle. This event in play seemed to spur Loughborough on and they went on the attack. They soon had a chance at equalising, but the shot went wide. They were quickly awarded a penalty corner, but Birmingham’s goalkeeper kept the ball out and Loughborough’s score to 0.

Shortly after the final whistle was blown and Birmingham celebrated taking home the BUCS Gold, the final score 0-1 in their favour. Label sends its commiserations to Loughborough Women’s Hockey on falling at the final hurdle but congratulations on making it that far and collecting the Silver medal.

Emma Lawton

Lens Photography coming soon


Comments are closed.