Our Features Editor, Leah Langley, brings you a comprehensive list of things to tick off for life at Loughborough.
Congratulations! You’ve made it through A Levels and now you’re set to begin a brand-new adventure at university, but first you need to pack. It’s completely normal to want to bring everything from home, but you need to be strategic.
There are a few items that you simply cannot do without that are important for yourself and studies at university.
- Passport/UK Birth or Adoption Certificate– Important for registration and useful throughout the year to prove your identity.
- Laptop– There is nothing wrong with taking paper notes in a lecture, but when it comes to writing coursework up it’s much easier to have your own laptop available rather than trying to find one on campus.
- USB Sticks– Make sure to save your work on them because there is nothing worse than writing an amazing piece of coursework for your laptop to crash and you lose several hours of hard work. You will also receive a OneDrive account attached to your student email where you can save your work.
- Notebooks – Some people prefer to write lecture notes in a notebook and they are helpful when you need to write important information down quickly.
- LOTS of Pens – It’s always handy to have several pens to hand in case yours runs out in an emergency.
- Folders – Folders are a good way of keeping any notes, leaflets, handouts etc. safe and organised, so that you can find things easily.
- Rucksack – This makes it a lot easier to take everything that you need to a lecture and it can be useful if you pick up any items in the day (i.e. parcels).
- Text Books – These will help further the information that has been given to you in your lectures and help to solidify your knowledge.
If you have been accepted into a catered hall, then you may still wish to bring a few items with you so that you can cook at the weekends.
- Pots and Pans
- Mugs, Bowls and Plates
- Cutlery and Cooking Utensils
- Chopping Boards
- Oven Gloves
- Tea Towels
- Duvet and Sheets – Check what size bed you get in your halls to ensure that you have the correct size.
- Mattress Protector
- Pillows – These are provided in every hall (except Unite and UPP Halls), but it can be useful to bring your own for comfort.
- Coat Hangers
- Extension Cable
- Laundry Basket
- Clothes Horse/Clothes Dryer
- Home Comforts and Photographs – These will give your room a homier feel, helping you to settle in more easily.
- Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Mouthwash
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Shower Gel
- Additional Toiletries
- Medication and First Aid Kit
- Phone and Phone Charger
- Water Bottle
- Sporting Clothes and Equipment
- Fancy Dress – For Freshers and possibly events afterwards.
- Music/Books/Films – These can be helpful with unwinding at the end of a stressful day or if you just want to relax.
- Blue Tac
- Post-It Notes
Although it may seem daunting at the minute, university will be one of the best times of your life. One of the most important things to remember to bring is an open mind. Allow yourself to try everything that you have ever been curious about and immerse yourself into everything that the university has to offer.
The Loughborough University guide can be found here for any further queries.