Role profile for Label Editor
Duties and responsibilities
• Run the Label committee and chair Label committee meetings.
• Have the final say on the content, design and editorial direction of Label, both online and in print.
• Proof-read each Label printed edition and online articles when necessary.
• Understand the importance of being a member of LSU Media Senate, the top level of governance within the section.
• Leading a successful student-led publication with a sizable contributor pool.
• Having the chance to forge connections with other student publications and those in industry.
• Gaining an insight into the the editorial process of publication.
• Having an important say in the direction of an established publication in the exciting times of online content.
Useful previous experience
• Previous Label committee position preferable or, at the very least, a year or more of being a committed contributor.
• Experience of proof-reading and a good grasp of English.
• Ability to make big decisions when necessary and knowing when to refer decision up to the Media Executive Officer.
• A keen interest in Loughborough, the university/college and Loughborough Students’ Union.
Average time commitment
• Around 15 hours per week
• Additional time during busy periods such as Exec Elections and Freshers’
Media Executive Officer
Similar industry roles
• Magazine/Newspaper Editor
• Copy Editor
• Online Editor
What does the current Label Editor, Leanna Kightley, have to say about it?
“I won’t lie, Label will take up A LOT of your time, but it’s so rewarding and the work comes in waves. If you have a passion for reading and writing journalistic content, and you have shown a keen interest in Label and LSU Media, you are the perfect candidate! You will encounter many challenges, from engaging the student community with writing and designing opportunities to knowing what they want to read, but whether you have desire to pursue a career in journalism, or are interested for other reasons, LSU Media is the perfect place to hone editorial skills. Just make sure you are organised, reliable and sensitive to student and Loughborough-based issues! Oh, and of course know how to run cracking Label meetings and socials…”
Download the application form here . Deadline is Friday 28th April.
For more information, get in touch with Jennifer Taylor at MediaEO@lsu.co.uk