Romance. University. Let’s face it, these two concepts aren’t immediately synonymous. In a game of word association what are the chances of university being followed with responses like romance or relationship? Not likely. Degree, flatmates, alcohol and hooking up are some of the more predictable choices. But for those of you who are loved up, or want to catch that special someone’s attention, there are plenty of cute gestures to make while at university. More importantly these gestures don’t break the bank. This may just be an assumption but I’m guessing that a surprise weekend getaway to Paris isn’t feasible on the average student budget.
- There will come a time when every student is ill (familiar with fresher’s flu anybody?) or stressed. So when your significant other is down in the dumps do something thoughtful to make them smile. If workload is the problem is there a way for you to help? Or you could deliver their favourite snacks to help get them through it. If illness is causing their problems then assume the role of their personal doctor/nurse. Pamper them by curling up in bed, putting on their favourite movie/ TV show and fetching them water, medicine etc. You may hate watching Made in Chelsea or WWE but that’s exactly why the gesture is so meaningful.
- There are plenty of lovely and unique restaurants to visit in Loughborough including the likes of Goodliffe’s or The Basin. However, eating out frequently can get very expensive. So spoil them with a homemade meal. Depending on your culinary expertise it can be as simple or as complicated as you like. Put in the effort to create a romantic ambience for the meal with the likes of candles, dimmed lighting and more importantly, privacy. Going the extra mile to create a special evening will really go a long way and earn major brownie points.
- Remember not to get stuck in a rut. Brainstorm new, different things to do together. Make dinner time less mundane by making pizza from scratch together. Or go old school and bring out the old board games. If you’re a girl you could offer to play FIFA or COD with him. Try escaping the confines of Loughborough town once in a while. Public transport to Nottingham is cheap and the town offers much more to do. The Lost City Adventure Golf course is a great fun date. Or with winter approaching, wrap up and give the ice rink a whirl before wandering around the Christmas market with a glass of mulled wine!
- Unfortunately, an inevitable downside to relationships at university is the long distance during the holidays. So remember to make those all-important gestures to show that you care. It can be something as simple as sending a quick text to say you miss them or making time to have a Skype conversation. You could even think extreme and make the trek to visit them. The little gestures to show you miss them will be appreciated far more than you may realise.
- And sometimes, just sometimes, it’s the little things that count. Pay them a compliment every now and then to show that you don’t take them for granted. It’s important to remind them exactly why you like them. Making somebody feel appreciated with a compliment may be the simplest, quickest and least expensive gesture on this list but that doesn’t mean it’s not important. In fact, if it’s a nice enough compliment, it could be the most romantic.