Fed up of chicken? Then dive into this creamy fish pie for a bit of variety
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/Gas Mark 4. Grease an oven proof dish with butter or sunflower oil. Place your 400g fish (any you wish –frozen is cheaper!) skin side down. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle a little oil over the fish. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
2. Whilst the fish is in the oven, peel and dice 700g potatoes, and boil in a saucepan for about 20 minutes until soft. While these are cooking, you should also boil 150g of frozen peas (you can use mixed vegetables if you like). These will take about 20 minutes as well.
3. Remove the fish from the oven, and, taking off the skin, separate the fish all over the bottom of the bowl. Turn up the heat of the oven to about 220 degrees C/Gas Mark 7.
4. Drain and mash your potatoes with a little butter and milk –depending on how creamy you like it. Then fold in the peas/vegetables like you would flour in a cake.
5. Cheese sauce: if you are not cheating by purchasing it ready made from the shop, otherwise the flour has a long life and can be sued for a lot of recipes. Place 40g unsalted butter in the pan and when it has melted add 500ml milk. When this is warm, slowly add 40g plain flour, stirring as you do, bit by bit. Keep stirring until thick then add 75g cheese.
6. When the sauce is thick, pour over the fish and then spoon the mash on top. Sprinkle with cheese.
7. Cook for about 20 more minutes in the oven.
This serves four, so you can cook it for your flatmates or halve the ingredients and save some to re-heat the following evening.